Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb
Date: 2019-07-05 17:25:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 6:16 PM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2019-07-02 10:30, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> > That's a great idea, and would make the parallelism in reindexdb much
> > simpler. There's however a downside, as users won't have a way to
> > benefit from index filtering until they upgrade to this version. OTOH
> > glibc 2.28 is already there, and a hypothetical fancy reindexdb is far
> > from being released.
>
> Isn't that also the case for your proposal? We are not going to release
> a new reindexdb before a new REINDEX.

Sure, but my point was that once the new reindexdb is released (or if
you're so desperate, using a nightly build or compiling your own), it
can be used against any previous major version. There is probably a
large fraction of users who don't perform a postgres upgrade when they
upgrade their OS, so that's IMHO also something to consider.