Re: How to ALTER EXTENSION name OWNER TO new_owner ?

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Colin 't Hart" <colinthart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to ALTER EXTENSION name OWNER TO new_owner ?
Date: 2017-08-09 15:40:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Colin 't Hart <colinthart(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Why does
>> ALTER EXTENSION name OWNER TO new_owner;
>> not exist?
>>
>> I have a bunch of extensions that were installed by a role that I want
>> to drop. So I thought I would do like I do for other object types:
>> ALTER <object_type> name OWNER TO new_owner;
>>
>> But that doesn't exist for extensions. I also can't drop the extension
>> and recreate it because other objects depend on it.
>>
>> What can I do?
>>
>> This is on PostgreSQL 9.3.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Colin
>>

>> --
>>

> *AFAIK, extensions do not have an owner. They just exist and are
> available to everyone.*
>
> *If you are having a particular problem (other than owner) with an
> extension, it would be helpful to*
>
> *post a script to illustrate that. You should be able to drop the role
> without any problem. *
>
> *If an error occurs, then please advise on that and include the exact
> message.*
>
> --
> *Melvin Davidson*
> I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you
> wish to share my fantasy is entirely up to you.

*Hmm, I have to retract my previous statement, as the structure of
pg_extension is:*

*CREATE TABLE pg_extension( extname name NOT NULL, extowner oid NOT
NULL, extnamespace oid NOT NULL, extrelocatable boolean NOT NULL,
extversion text, extconfig oid[], extcondition text[])WITH ( OIDS=TRUE);*
*So to solve your problem, as a superuser you can do:*

*SELECT oid, rolname*

* FROM pg_authid *
* WHERE rolname = '{new_owner}';*

*SELECT oid, rolname*

* FROM pg_authid *
* WHERE rolname = '{user_you_want_to_drop}';*

*Then:*

*UPDATE pg_extension SET extowner = {oid_of_new_owner} WHERE extowner =
{oid_from_above_statement};*