Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms

From: Yuriy Zhuravlev <stalkerg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms
Date: 2018-05-28 02:30:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I suppose I can make summary after reading all this:
1. Any change in the development process will be possible if it will be
convenient for each key developers personally only. (development process
include build system)
2. Currently, almost all key developers use Unix like systems, they have
strong old school C experience and current build system very comfortable
for them.

I think new build system will be possible only by next reasons:
1. Autotools will be completely deprecated and unsupported.
2. Key developers will be changed by people with another experience and
habits (and maybe younger).

I don't want to be CMake advocate here, and I see some problems with CMake
to Postgres project too. But I want to make Postgres development more
comfortable for people like me who also doesn't like mail lists and was
growing with github. Unfortunately, we are too few here to change anything
now.