Re: increasing HA

From: Thomas Poty <thomas(dot)poty(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ioguix(at)free(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: increasing HA
Date: 2018-09-05 13:06:21
Lists: pgsql-general

> In fact, PAF does not support slots. So it is not a good candidate if
slot are
> a requirement.
Effectively slots are a requirement we prefer to keep

> > a proxy HAproxy and
> > for fencincg, i am a bit disappointed, i don't know what to do/use

> Depend on your hardware or your virtualization technology.
Our production cluster (master and slave) runs on LXC container. Each LXC
container runs on a HPE Blade Server. The storage is on a SAN 3PAR array.
Any advice ?

> > How about you, do you have any preference about tools/solutions to use ?

> If you want a simple and well community adopted solution, pick Patroni.
It deals
> with slots, rely on etcd or zookeeper, fit nicely with haproxy, deal with
> watchdog to keep itself under monitor. However, it lacks of fencing and
its
> callback are asynchronous. You would have to take special care of your
> network and master connectivity upon primary failure.

I am looking after some infrmation about this solution on their doc/irc...
Your opinion about it is important for me by knowing you maintain PAF :-)

> If you want something able to keep multiple services avaliable
(PostgreSQL, vIP,
> storage, pgBouncer, apache, whatever...), deal with dependencies,
locations,
> constraints, rules etc, pick Pacemaker (and a larger coffee machine). I
would
> (obviously) recommend PAF as resource agent for PgSQL, but you would have
> design your cluster without slots :/

many thanks