Re: CREATE FUNCTION ... SEARCH { DEFAULT | SYSTEM | SESSION }

From: John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE FUNCTION ... SEARCH { DEFAULT | SYSTEM | SESSION }
Date: 2023-12-05 16:22:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 7:55 AM Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2023-11-21 at 09:24 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > As to the second, could we somehow come
> > up with an API for guc.c where you can ask for an opaque handle that
> > will later allow you to do a fast-SET of a GUC?
>
> Yes, attached. That provides a significant speedup: my test goes from
> around ~7300ms to ~6800ms.
>
> This doesn't seem very controversial or complex, so I'll probably
> commit this soon unless someone else has a comment.

+ * set_config_option_ext: sets option with the given handle to the given
+ * value.

Copy-paste-o of the other function name.

+config_handle *
+get_config_handle(const char *name)
+{
+ struct config_generic *record;
+
+ record = find_option(name, false, false, 0);
+ if (record == NULL)
+ return 0;

Part of this code this was copied from a function that returned int,
but this one returns a pointer.