Re: Add generate_series(date,date) and generate_series(date,date,integer)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Torsten Zuehlsdorff <mailinglists(at)toco-domains(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add generate_series(date,date) and generate_series(date,date,integer)
Date: 2016-03-10 19:35:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10 March 2016 at 18:45, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:33 AM, David G. Johnston
> <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I tend to think we err toward this too much. This seems like development
> > concerns trumping usability. Consider that anything someone took the
> time
> > to write and polish to make committable to core was obviously genuinely
> > useful to them - and for every person capable of actually taking things
> that
> > far there are likely many more like myself who cannot but have
> encountered
> > the, albeit minor, usability annoyance that this kind of function seeks
> > remove.
>
> Sure, an individual function like this has almost no negative impact.
> On the other hand, working around its absence is also trivial. You
> can create a wrapper function that does exactly this in a couple of
> lines of SQL. In my opinion, saying that people should do that in
> they need it has some advantages over shipping it to everyone. If you
> don't have it and you want it, you can easily get it. But what if you
> have it and you don't want it, for example because what you really
> want is a minimal postgres installation? You can't take anything in
> core back out again, or at least not easily. Everything about core is
> expanding very randomly - code size, shared memory footprint, all of
> it. If you think that has no downside for users, I respectfully
> disagree.

Not sure what y'all are discussing, but I should add that I would have
committed this based solely upon Vik's +1.

My objection was made, then overruled; that works because the objection
wasn't "it won't work", only a preference so I'm happy.

But I still don't know "meh" means.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>