Re: [bug fix] Savepoint-related statements terminates connection

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] Savepoint-related statements terminates connection
Date: 2017-09-08 00:49:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7 September 2017 at 11:31, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I would like to relax the restriction to allow this specific use case...
>> SET work_mem = X; SET max_parallel_workers = 4; SELECT ...
>> so we still have only one command (the last select), yet we have
>> multiple GUC settings beforehand.
>
> On what basis do you claim that's only one command? It would return
> multiple CommandCompletes, for starters, so that it breaks the protocol
> just as effectively as any other loosening.
>
> Moreover, I imagine the semantics you really want is that the SETs only
> apply for the duration of the command. This wouldn't provide that
> result either.

> Haas' idea of some kind of syntactic extension, like "LET guc1 = x,
> guc2 = y FOR statement" seems more feasible to me. I'm not necessarily
> wedded to that particular syntax, but I think it has to look like
> a single-statement construct of some kind.

Always happy to use a good idea... (any better way to re-locate that
discussion?)

1. Allow SET to set multiple parameters...
SET guc1 = x, guc2 = y
This looks fairly straightforward

2. Allow SET to work only for a single command...
SET guc1 = x, guc2 = y FOR query
Don't see anything too bad about that...
Requires a new GUC mode for "statement local" rather than "transaction local"

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/