Re: Don'st start streaming after creating a slot in pg_receivexlog

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Don'st start streaming after creating a slot in pg_receivexlog
Date: 2015-07-29 07:54:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29 July 2015 at 08:37, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Heikki complained about pg_receivexlog --create-slot starting to stream
> in his talk in St. Petersburg. Saying that that makes it a hard to
> script feature - and I have to agree. Since that option is new to 9.5 we
> can should change that behaviour now if we decide to.
>
> Michael, what do you think?

--drop-slot seems pointless, since you can just do that with psql

If we make --create-slot do nothing but add the slot, then that seems
pointless also

Would we need to add those options to all commands, when it can be done
with psql?

I'd suggest just removing --create-slot and --drop-slot altogether

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>