Re: 9.6 -> 10.0

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Date: 2016-04-06 22:30:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 6 April 2016 at 21:56, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> wrote:

> Anything is possible in software, if you're willing to expend the effort
> on it.

And you have the time, talent, funding and support from the community to do
so.

Our path forwards is clearly resource-constrained along multiple dimensions.

The purpose of the compatibility breaks suggested was to implement new
features that cannot easily be implemented because of backwards
compatibility requirements. Obviously they were not intended merely to
shake off a few pesky users we didn't care much about, but neither should
we ignore the users we may lose if we are slow to implement new features
while alternatives march ahead.

Deciding not to have a compatibility break release means that such things
will remain forever blocked or we slowly increase the amount of old code we
have to support all the multiple options needed, which will affect bug
rates and support costs.

I don't really mind what we do, as long as we choose that direction via a
conscious, rational choice.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>