Re: pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server
Date: 2016-04-06 08:18:54
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 5 April 2016 at 01:18, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > On 2016-04-04 08:44:47 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >> That patch does exactly the same thing as the patch you prefer, just
> >> does it differently;
> >
> > No, it doesn't; as explained above.

I think these few changes are all we need. (attached)

FWIW, I vote also for reverting this patch. This has been committed
> without any real discussions..

Michael, its a shame to hear you say that, so let me give full context.

The patches under review in the CF are too invasive and not worth the
trouble for such a minor problem. After full review, I would simply reject
those patches (already discussed on list).

Rather than take that option, I went to the trouble of writing a patch that
does the same thing but simpler, less invasive and more maintainable.
Primarily, I did that for you, to avoid you having wasted your time and to
allow you to backpatch a solution.

We can, if you wish, revert this patch. If we do, we will have nothing,
since I object to the other patch(es).

My recommendation is that we apply the attached patch and leave it there.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>

Attachment Content-Type Size
avoid_running_xacts_log.v1plus.patch application/octet-stream 2.0 KB