Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server
Date: 2016-04-06 08:45:34
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2016-04-06 09:18:54 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Rather than take that option, I went to the trouble of writing a patch that
> does the same thing but simpler, less invasive and more maintainable.
> Primarily, I did that for you, to avoid you having wasted your time and to
> allow you to backpatch a solution.

But it doesn't. It doesn't solve the longstanding problem of checkpoints
needlessly being repeated due to standby snapshots. It doesn't fix the
issue for for wal_level=logical. We now log more WAL with
XLogArchiveTimeout > 0 than without.

The other was an architectural fix, this is a selectively applied
bandaid.

Andres