Re: raw output from copy

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Golub <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: raw output from copy
Date: 2015-07-02 13:43:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2 July 2015 at 14:02, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> Please don't top-post on the PostgreSQL lists. You've been around here
> long enough to know that bottom posting is our custom.
>
> I posted a patch for this in 2013 at <
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/50F2FA92.9040000@dunslane.net> but
> it can apply to a SELECT, and doesn't need COPY. Nobody seemed very
> interested, so I dropped it. Apparently people now want something along
> these lines, which is good.

It's a shame that both solutions are restricted to either COPY or psql.

Both of those are working on suggestions from Tom, so there is no history
of preference there.

Can we have both please, gentlemen?

If we implemented Andrew's solution, how would we request it in a COPY
statement? Seems like we would want the RAW format keyword anyway.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>