Re: Build the docs if there are changes in docs and don't run other tasks if the changes are only in docs

From: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build the docs if there are changes in docs and don't run other tasks if the changes are only in docs
Date: 2023-12-14 13:40:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 at 17:07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> As a quick cross-check, I searched our commit log to see how many
> README-only commits there were so far this year. I found 11 since
> January. (Several were triggered by the latest round of pgindent
> code and process changes, so maybe this is more than typical.)
>
> Not sure what that tells us about the value of changing the CI
> logic, but it does seem like it could be worth the one-liner
> change needed to teach buildfarm animals to ignore READMEs.

I agree that it could be worth implementing this logic on buildfarm animals.

In case we want to implement the same logic on the CI, I added a new
version of the patch; it skips CI completely if the changes are only
in the README files.

--
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-If-the-changes-are-only-in-the-README-files-skip-.patch text/x-diff 1.8 KB