Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful

From: Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful
Date: 2021-08-05 11:39:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> I don't really understand why you are storing something in shared
> memory specifically for the archiver. Can't we use XLogCtl's
> ThisTimeLineID instead of storing another copy of the information?

Yes, we can avoid storing another copy of information. We can
use XLogCtl's ThisTimeLineID on Primary. However,
XLogCtl's ThisTimeLineID is not set to the current timeline ID on
Standby server. It's value is set to '0'. Can we use XLogCtl's
replayEndTLI on the Standby server to get the current timeline ID?

Thanks,
Dipesh