Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful
Date: 2021-08-05 14:00:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 7:39 AM Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Yes, we can avoid storing another copy of information. We can
> use XLogCtl's ThisTimeLineID on Primary. However,
> XLogCtl's ThisTimeLineID is not set to the current timeline ID on
> Standby server. It's value is set to '0'. Can we use XLogCtl's
> replayEndTLI on the Standby server to get the current timeline ID?

I'm not sure. I think we need the value to be accurate during
recovery, so I'm not sure whether replayEndTLI would get us there.
Another approach might be to set ThisTimeLineID on standbys also.
Actually just taking a fast look at the code I'm not quite sure why
that isn't happening already. Do you have any understanding of that?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com