Re: RFC: Pluggable TOAST

From: Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Pluggable TOAST
Date: 2023-10-26 11:29:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Aleksander, previous discussion was not a discussion actually, we proposed
a set of big and complex core changes without any discussion preceding it.
That was not very good approach although the overall idea behind the patch
set is very progressive and is ready to solve some old and painful issues
in Postgres.

Also, introduction of SQL/JSON will further boost usage of JSON in
databases,
so our improvements in JSON storage and performance would be very useful.
These improvements depend on Pluggable TOAST, without API that allows easy
plug-in different TOAST implementations they require heavy core
modifications
and are very unlikely to be accepted. Not to mention that such kind of
changes
require upgrades, restarts and so on.

Pluggable TOAST allows using advanced storage techniques on top of the
default
Postgres database engine, instead of implementing the complex Pluggable
Storage
API, and allows plugging these advanced techniques on the fly - without even
restarting the server, which is crucial for production systems.

Discussion on extending the TOAST pointer showed some interest in this
topic,
so I hope this feature would draw some attention in the scope of widely
used large
JSON objects.

--
Regards,