Re: Pluggable toaster

From: Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Pluggable toaster
Date: 2023-02-05 21:10:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers!

>The approaches are completely different,

>but they seem to be trying to fix the same problem: the fact that the
>default TOAST stuff isn't good enough for JSONB.

The problem, actually, is that the default TOAST is often not good for

modern loads and amounts of data.Pluggable TOAST is based not only

on pure enthusiasm, but on demands and tickets from production

databases.The main demand is effective and transparent storage subsystem

for large values for some problematic types of data, which we already have,

with proven efficiency.

So we're really quite surprised that it has got so little feedback. We've
got

some opinions on approach but there is no any general one on the approach

itself except doubts about the TOAST mechanism needs revision at all.

Currently we're busy revising the whole Pluggable TOAST API to make it

available as an extension and based on hooks to minimize changes in

the core. It will be available soon.

--
Nikita Malakhov
Postgres Professional