Re: Pluggable toaster

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Pluggable toaster
Date: 2023-02-05 22:33:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-06 00:10:50 +0300, Nikita Malakhov wrote:
> The problem, actually, is that the default TOAST is often not good for
> modern loads and amounts of data.Pluggable TOAST is based not only
> on pure enthusiasm, but on demands and tickets from production
> databases.

> The main demand is effective and transparent storage subsystem
> for large values for some problematic types of data, which we already have,
> with proven efficiency.

> So we're really quite surprised that it has got so little feedback. We've
> got
> some opinions on approach but there is no any general one on the approach
> itself except doubts about the TOAST mechanism needs revision at all.

The problem for me is that what you've been posting doesn't actually fix
any problem, but instead introduces lots of new code and complexity.

> Currently we're busy revising the whole Pluggable TOAST API to make it
> available as an extension and based on hooks to minimize changes in
> the core. It will be available soon.

I don't think we should accept that either. It still doesn't improve
anything about toast, it just allows you to do such improvements out of
core.

Greetings,

Andres Freund