Re: What users can do with custom ICU collations in Postgres 10

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What users can do with custom ICU collations in Postgres 10
Date: 2017-08-15 02:27:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 August 2017 at 10:16, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Ooh, this finally gives us a path toward case-insensitive default
> database
> > collation via CLDR caseLevel.
> >
> > http://userguide.icu-project.org/collation
> > http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-collation.html#Algorithm_Case
> >
> > That *definitely* should be documented and exposed by initdb.
>
> The addition of an interface to initdb smells like an item for v11~,
> but the documentation for 10 could be improved in this sense?

Yeah, not suggesting changing it for Pg10, way too late.

It's also not enough for case-insensitive DB by its self, since we still do
binary compares for equality. There'd need to be deeper surgery to make it
work. So I'm getting prematurely excited here.