Re: Is Bi-Directional Replication (BDR) is fully integrated into PostgreSQL 9.6 or 9.7?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Balashov <abalashov(at)evaristesys(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is Bi-Directional Replication (BDR) is fully integrated into PostgreSQL 9.6 or 9.7?
Date: 2016-10-20 03:08:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 14 October 2016 at 23:54, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 10/12/16 3:10 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> I had the same question as Ravi, actually: is it likely that we're going
>> to see BDR (or at least, the master-master aspect) fully mainlined in 9.7?
>
> We are working on getting logical replication into the next PostgreSQL
> release (version 10), but it's not going to be master-master.

Yeah, and it's unlikely to have built-in DDL replication (warts and
all), global sequences etc either.

I'm hoping to port BDR on top of it, replacing its existing
replication engine with the much-improved one that should arise from
the logical replication support in core. But it's going to be a
while...

For now Alex your best bet is to keep an eye on announce@ and planet
postgresql for news about coming 9.6 BDR tech previews and betas.