Re: pb_basebackup process not working

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "'Campbell, Lance *EXTERN*'" <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pb_basebackup process not working
Date: 2016-10-19 14:28:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Lance Campbell wrote:
[realizes that pg_basebackup options -X s and -z are incompatible]

> 1) Now what should I try? I don’t want to have to write out the entire backup of my database
> files in an uncompressed format. That is just crazy and silly.

You have basically two options:

a) Don't include the WAL files with the base backup.

If you are planning to use PITR, you'll have to archive those separately anyway.
So why include them in the base backup?

b) Use -X f and "set wal_keep_segments" high enough that the WAL files are not deleted.

> 2) Why offer tar and gzip as an option in my first attempt if it won’t work? Is there something
> I am missing?

Yes, namely that WAL files get deleted/recycled from pg_xlog when they are no longer needed.
If your backup takes too long, the earliest WAL files that are needed for recovery to a
consistent state will be gone when the backup is done.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe