Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Avinash Kumar <avinash(dot)vallarapu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-13 01:37:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12 December 2017 at 23:28, Avinash Kumar <avinash(dot)vallarapu(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> It takes a few hours to learn PostgreSQL and 1 second to remember, how to
> quit from psql.
> Surprised to see the depth of discussion on this.
>
> It takes sometime for a person to explore or know about PostgreSQL and
> install it.
> Likewise, it takes him some more time to understand that there exists a
> "psql" to connect to it.
> He knows about psql because he searched it somewhere. Just a psql --help
> (anybody uses help), should help me know much more about psql.
> I think many people doesn't find it difficult to quit using \q.
>
> I think its good to talk about or help with more features that helps a
> production database.

It's easy to dismiss usability concerns, but new users are what keeps a
community healthy. Users who go "WTF is this @#$@" and bail aren't
necessarily the ones you want to lose; sometimes they're just busy or are
evaluating a few things at once. Early UX matters.