Re: Contributing with code

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Antonio Belloni <abelloni(at)rioservice(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Contributing with code
Date: 2018-01-01 03:43:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1 January 2018 at 03:27, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 6:35 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Also, let's delete the TODO list. People keep using it as a source of
> > project ideas, and that's bad.
>
> It would be great if the TODO list was deleted IMV.
>
> Choosing the right project is one of the hardest and most important
> parts of successfully contributing to PostgreSQL. It's usually
> essential to understand in detail why the thing that you're thinking
> of working on doesn't already exist. The TODO list seems to suggest
> almost the opposite, and as such is a trap for inexperienced hackers.

I don't entirely agree. It's a useful place to look for "are there other
things related to the thing I'm contemplating doing" and "has anyone tried
this? where did they get stuck?"

I'd rather rename it the "stuck, hard and abandoned projects list" ;)

For example I try to keep track of protocol-related stuff there, so that
if/when we do a real protocol revision we don't fail to consider things
that have come up and since been forgotten.