Re: Function to move the position of a replication slot

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Function to move the position of a replication slot
Date: 2017-05-04 12:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4 May 2017 at 20:05, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> PFA a patch that adds a new function, pg_move_replication_slot, that makes
> it possible to move the location of a replication slot without actually
> consuming all the WAL on it.

> This can be useful for example to keep replication slots in sync between
> different servers in a replication cluster.

It needs a test to ensure it only operates on physical slots. It
should ERROR on a logical slot, since it has no way of correctly
advancing the catalog_xmin or finding a reasonable restart_lsn for
logical decoding.

I'm still fine with the name, since I plan to add that capability in
pg11 by running through logical decoding and ReorderBufferSkip()ing
each xact until we reach the target lsn.