Re: On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking...

From: Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kang Yuzhe <tiggreen87(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking...
Date: 2017-04-28 11:41:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 28 Apr. 2017 17:04, "Kang Yuzhe" <tiggreen87(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

Hello Simon,
The journey that caused and is causing me a lot of pain is finding my way
in PG development.
Complex Code Reading like PG. Fully understanding the science of DBMS
Engines: Query Processing, Storage stuff, Transaction Management and so
on...

Anyway as you said, the rough estimation towards any expertise seems to be
in abidance with by The 10,000 Hour Rule. I will strive based on this rule.

Start with not top-posting on the mailing list ;)

For now, would please tell me how to know the exact PG version to which a
specific patch was developed?
Given x patch, how do I know the specific PG version it was developed for?

If it a was created by git format-patch then the base git revision will be
shown. This may be a commit from postgres public tree that you can find
with 'git branch --contains'.

Otherwise look at the proposed commit message if any, in the patch header.
Or the email it was attached to. If all else fails guess based on the date.