Re: Design for In-Core Logical Replication

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Design for In-Core Logical Replication
Date: 2016-07-21 03:28:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21 July 2016 at 11:05, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> On 07/20/2016 06:35 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
> First, I'd like to emphasise that logical replication has been stalled
>> for ages now because we can no longer make forward progress on core
>> features needed until we have in-core logical replication (they're
>> dismissed as irrelevant, no in core users, etc) - but we have also had
>> difficulty getting logical replication into core. To break this impasse
>> we really need logical replication in core and need to focus on getting
>> the minimum viable feature in place, not trying to make it do everything
>> all at once. Point-to-point replication with no forwarding should be
>> just fine for the first release. Lets not bog this in extra "must have"
>> features that aren't actually crucial.
>>

> I don't think any person who actually works on postgresql with customers
> and clearly deals with "competition" can state with any sanity that we
> don't need logical replication in core.

No, and while people used to, we're past that now.

However, infrastructure improvements to make out-of-tree logical
replication that we can get into user hands *now* rather than two+ years
from now have been getting knocked back because there's no in-tree user,
and tools like pglogical dismissed as irrelevant. Once we have logical
replication in core hopefully we can start making infrastructure progress
again as well.