Re: Should AT TIME ZONE be volatile?

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should AT TIME ZONE be volatile?
Date: 2021-11-11 20:45:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 at 14:42, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> diacritical marks. I know I've seen collation changes on Macs that
> changed the order in which en_US.UTF8 strings sorted. But it wasn't
> that the rules about English sorting have actually changed. It was
> that somebody somewhere decided that the algorithm should be more or
> less case-sensitive, or that we ought to ignore the amount of
> whitespace between words instead of not ignoring it, or I don't know
> exactly, but not anything that people universally agree on. Tinkering
> with obscure rules that actual human beings wouldn't agree on and
> prioritizing that over a stable algorithm is, IMHO, ridiculous.

Yes, I thought the point here was to nail down each change as a separate
version. So for example maybe I'm running Universal Compare Everything
Collation v1.2435 while your database is running Universal Compare
Everything Collation v1.2436, with the only difference being whether e
diaresis circumflex comes before or after e circumflex diaresis. If I do a
system upgrade I won't just silently corrupt any indexes with those
characters; instead I'll be told that my collation is out of date and then
I can decide whether to stick with the old collation or rebuild my indexes
and upgrade.

There is however one kind of change at least that I think can be made
safely: adding a new character in between existing characters. That
shouldn't affect any existing indexes.

If the Unicode consortium introduces a new emoji for "annoyed