Re: Should AT TIME ZONE be volatile?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should AT TIME ZONE be volatile?
Date: 2021-11-11 21:08:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 3:45 PM Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> There is however one kind of change at least that I think can be made safely: adding a new character in between existing characters. That shouldn't affect any existing indexes.

Only if you can guarantee that said character is not present already.
I don't think we update the end of the acceptable code point range
every time that Unicode adds new stuff, so probably those things are
subject to some default rule unless and until someone installs
something more specific. Therefore I doubt that even this case is
truly safe.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com