Re: pg_checkpointer is not a verb or verb phrase

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_checkpointer is not a verb or verb phrase
Date: 2022-06-30 12:57:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 at 08:48, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

Almost all of these are verbs or verb phrases: having this role gives
> you the ability to read all data, or write all data, or read all
> settings, or whatever. But you can't say that having this role gives
> you the ability to checkpointer. It gives you the ability to
> checkpoint, or to perform a checkpoint.
>
> So I think the name is inconsistent with our usual convention, and we
> ought to fix it.

I was going to point out that pg_database_owner is the same way, but it is
fundamentally different in that it has no special allowed access and is
meant to be the target of permission grants rather than being granted to
other roles.

+1 to rename it to pg_checkpoint or to some similar name.