pg_checkpointer is not a verb or verb phrase

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_checkpointer is not a verb or verb phrase
Date: 2022-06-30 12:48:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was just looking at the list of predefined roles that we have, and
pg_checkpointer is conspicuously not like the others:

rhaas=# select rolname from pg_authid where oid!=10;
rolname
---------------------------
pg_database_owner
pg_read_all_data
pg_write_all_data
pg_monitor
pg_read_all_settings
pg_read_all_stats
pg_stat_scan_tables
pg_read_server_files
pg_write_server_files
pg_execute_server_program
pg_signal_backend
pg_checkpointer
(12 rows)

Almost all of these are verbs or verb phrases: having this role gives
you the ability to read all data, or write all data, or read all
settings, or whatever. But you can't say that having this role gives
you the ability to checkpointer. It gives you the ability to
checkpoint, or to perform a checkpoint.

So I think the name is inconsistent with our usual convention, and we
ought to fix it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com