Re: what can go in root.crt ?

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: what can go in root.crt ?
Date: 2020-05-26 04:07:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

What about the SSH model? In the Postgres context, this would basically be
a table containing authorized certificates for each user. Upon receiving a
connection attempt, look up the user and the presented certificate and see
if it is one of the authorized ones. If so, do the usual verification that
the client really does have the corresponding private key and if so,
authenticate the connection.

This is way simpler than messing around with certificate authorities.
Please, if anybody can give a coherent explanation why this isn't the first
certificate authentication model supported, I would love to understand.