Re: what can go in root.crt ?

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: what can go in root.crt ?
Date: 2020-05-26 04:35:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/26/20 00:07, Isaac Morland wrote:
> What about the SSH model? In the Postgres context, this would basically be
> a table containing authorized certificates for each user. Upon receiving a
> connection attempt, look up the user and the presented certificate and see
> if it is one of the authorized ones. If so, do the usual verification that
> the client really does have the corresponding private key and if so,
> authenticate the connection.

I like the SSH model, but just in case it wasn't clear, I wasn't thinking
about client-cert authentication here, just about conventional verification
by the client of a certificate for the server.

By the same token, there's no reason not to ask the same questions about
the other direction.

Regards,
-Chap