Chaining inserts ... This would be cool

From: Nick Apperson <apperson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Chaining inserts ... This would be cool
Date: 2012-04-23 20:49:18
Lists: pgsql-general

There are obviously workarounds for this, but I'm wondering why the
following query shouldn't work. It seems like it should. With MVCC already
present on the back-end, I can't see any reason other than additional
parsing routines that this couldn't work:

INSERT INTO old_login_id_to_new_account_id(new_account_id, old_login_id)
INSERT INTO accounts(id, username, password_hash, email) SELECT DEFAULT,
username, password_hash, email FROM logins_old RETURNING id, logins_old.id;

Anyway, I'm sure there are more important features for Postgres (like
upserts, unique indexes on GIN, Gist and hash, fixed arrays, compact
storage of enum arrays as bitfields, etc.) I just thought it was an
interesting idea.