Re: [HACKERS] Namespace of array of user defined types is confused by the parser in insert?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Krzysztof Nienartowicz <krzysztof(dot)nienartowicz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Namespace of array of user defined types is confused by the parser in insert?
Date: 2012-04-23 16:09:43
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

[redirected to pgsql-general]

On 04/23/2012 09:42 AM, Krzysztof Nienartowicz wrote:
> Hello,
> Sorry for re-posting - I initially posted this in pgsql.sql - probably
> this group is more appropriate.

pgsql-general probably would be best. -hackers is for discussion of
internals and development, not for usage questions.

[types have namespaces]

> Is there any way of avoid this error different than having a single
> type defined for all schemas?
> Any hints appreciated..

Probably your best bet is to put the types explicitly in the public
namespace when they are created, instead of relying on the search path
that happens to be in force at the time:

create type public.foo as ( ...);

Then, assuming that public is in your search path they will be picked up
properly when used. Alternatively, you can namespace qualify them when used:

create type public.bar as (f1 public.foo[], ...);

cheers

andrew