Re: trouble with upgrade from 9.0 (many schemas and tables)

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Groshev Andrey <greenx(at)yandex(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble with upgrade from 9.0 (many schemas and tables)
Date: 2013-01-30 14:47:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Groshev Andrey <greenx(at)yandex(dot)ru> wrote:
> Hello!
> I update the databases to version 9.1.
> Today, faced with a new challenge.
> The database itself is not very big 60G, but has ~ 164,000 tables in 1260 schemes.

Are the schemas all about the same size (in number of tables)?

There are several places in the code which are quadratic in the number
of tables being dumped and restored. There have been many fixes
recently in 9.2 and especially (future) 9.3, but unfortunately you
have to upgrade in order to get those benefits.

> I tried and pg_upgrade and pg_dumpall and pg_dump.
> But they all work very, very long time.
> For so long that I do not have patience.
> And pg_dump worked for almost a day, gave "out off memory"

Was it exactly that, or was it about shared memory for holding locks?

> The only thing that came up while doing a dump on each schema.
> But will it be the right approach?

Unfortunately, that might be your best option to get around the
quadratic behavior.

You would probably want to use the pg_dump from 9.2, as there are
improvements in that version of pg_dump to speed up partial dumps.
You can use pg_dump from 9.2 against server 9.0 and still get the
improvements. But that means you should be upgrading to 9.2 rather
than 9.1. (Which you should probably do anyway unless you have a
specific reason not to.)

Cheers,

Jeff