Re: trouble with upgrade from 9.0 (many schemas and tables)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Groshev Andrey <greenx(at)yandex(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble with upgrade from 9.0 (many schemas and tables)
Date: 2013-01-30 14:54:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Groshev Andrey <greenx(at)yandex(dot)ru> writes:
> I update the databases to version 9.1.
> Today, faced with a new challenge.
> The database itself is not very big 60G, but has ~ 164,000 tables in 1260 schemes.

> I tried and pg_upgrade and pg_dumpall and pg_dump.
> But they all work very, very long time.

This isn't very clear. Are you saying that you successfully updated to
9.1 and now you have a pg_dump performance problem you didn't have before?
Or are you still on 9.0 and you are just now finding out that you can't
pg_dump (that is, you don't have any routine backup policy)?

Also, 9.0.what and 9.1.what? We've fixed a number of pg_dump
performance issues with huge schemas in the last year or two, but it's
impossible to guess whether you have those fixes.