Re: PostgreSQL Database performance

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pradeep <pgundala(at)avineonindia(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Database performance
Date: 2016-09-06 19:31:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Pradeep <pgundala(at)avineonindia(dot)com> wrote:

> Dear Team,
>

> Could you please help me, after changing the below parameters in
> PostgreSQL configuration file it was not reflecting in OS level and also
> Database performance is degrading.

What were they before you changed them?

Do you mean that the performance is degrading after the change, or that the
performance is degrading as the database grows, and your changes have not
helped?

> *Example*: I am using Windows 2008 R2 server .For PostgreSQL I have
> allocated 24GB RAM out of 32GB.
>
> However after changing the below parameters, In task bar it is showing
> 2.7GB Utilization even though my utilization is more.
>
> So kindly suggest us, whether it will impact or not in Open source
> PostgreSQL database
>

> max_connections = 100
>
> shared_buffers = 512MB
>
> effective_cache_size = 24GB
>
> work_mem = 110100kB
>
> maintenance_work_mem = 2GB
>
> checkpoint_segments = 64
>
> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
>
> wal_buffers = 16MB
>
> default_statistics_target = 100

None of these seem unreasonable. In order to recommend changes, we would
have to know more about your database workload. Or better yet, specific
queries which seem too slow.

Cheers,

Jeff