Re: Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Johansen <davejohansen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections
Date: 2022-06-28 19:31:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 4:38 PM David Johansen <davejohansen(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> We're running into an issue where the database can't be connected to. It
> appears that the auto-vacuum is timing out and then that prevents new
> connections from happening. This assumption is based on these logs showing
> up in the logs:
> WARNING: worker took too long to start; canceled
> The log appears about every 5 minutes and eventually nothing can connect
> to it and it has to be rebooted.

As Julien suggested, this sounds like another victim, not the cause. Is
there anything else in the log files?

What version are you using?

> These are the most similarly related previous posts, but the CPU usage
> isn't high when this happens, so I don't believe that's the problem
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20081105185206.GS4114%40alvh.no-ip.org
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/AANLkTinsGLeRc26RT5Kb4_HEhow5e97p0ZBveg=p9xqS@mail.gmail.com

But, I don't see high CPU described as a symptom in either of those
threads.

If you can't reproduce the problem locally, there probably isn't much we
can do. Maybe ask Amazon to look into it, since they are the only ones
with sufficient access to do so.

Cheers,

Jeff