Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections

From: David Johansen <davejohansen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Auto-vacuum timing out and preventing connections
Date: 2022-06-27 20:38:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

We're running into an issue where the database can't be connected to. It
appears that the auto-vacuum is timing out and then that prevents new
connections from happening. This assumption is based on these logs showing
up in the logs:
WARNING: worker took too long to start; canceled
The log appears about every 5 minutes and eventually nothing can connect to
it and it has to be rebooted.

These are the most similarly related previous posts, but the CPU usage
isn't high when this happens, so I don't believe that's the problem
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20081105185206.GS4114%40alvh.no-ip.org
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/AANLkTinsGLeRc26RT5Kb4_HEhow5e97p0ZBveg=p9xqS@mail.gmail.com

What can we do to diagnose this problem and get our database working
reliably again?

Thanks,
Dave