Re: index-only scans

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index-only scans
Date: 2011-10-15 21:16:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Please find attached a patch implementing a basic version of
>> index-only scans.
>
> I'm making some progress with this, but I notice what seems like a
> missing feature: there needs to be a way to turn it off.  Otherwise
> performance comparisons will be difficult to impossible.
>
> The most obvious solution is a planner control GUC, perhaps
> "enable_indexonlyscan".  Anyone object, or want to bikeshed the name?

Currently I can't force an indexonlyscan over an indexscan, because of
the way the enable_* variables work.

Should setting enable_indexscan=off also disable index-only scans (the
current behavior) in addition to plain index scans?

By way of precedent, enable_indexscan=off does not disable Bitmap Index Scan.

Cheers,

Jeff