Re: Call stacks and RAISE INFO

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call stacks and RAISE INFO
Date: 2011-10-15 21:02:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> No, I don't think so. The use-case for this sort of thing seems to me
> to be messages that are directed to the user or DBA, and don't want to
> be decorated with a lot of information about where they came from.
> That determination is usually pretty clear when you write the code.

For my case, I agree with Tom. For example, in my recent debugging
session, I was debugging a recursive function ... one which calls
itself, up to 6 levels deep. For that function, I want to turn context
off because there's so much it becomes unreadable, and instead I put a
nesting counter in the INFO.

I don't want to turn of context for other functions universally -- even
in the same ETL session -- because I want to know what called them,
since some of them can be called on multiple paths.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.