Re: Clarity Bug for Schema Permissions, Potential Vulnerability?

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
Cc: Justis Lincoln Mackaoui <jmackaou(at)calpoly(dot)edu>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clarity Bug for Schema Permissions, Potential Vulnerability?
Date: 2020-05-06 13:37:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 3:47 AM Oleksandr Shulgin <
oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de> wrote:

> I'm wondering if we could provide a more helpful error message in this
> case, something along the lines of:
>
> DETAIL: 'usage' permission required on schema 'test_schema'

The actual error message is not just "permission denied", it is already:

ERROR: permission denied for schema test_schema

Given that, I don't think the additional DETAIL upon ERROR would be all
that helpful.

I think a more useful change (if any) would be a NOTICE or WARNING when
granting privs on a object in a schema, to a user who does not already have
privs on the schema itself. I thought there was already a similar
situation, where a NOTICE was issued where a permission change was executed
which didn't do anything, because it was already done. But now I can't
find.