Re: Clarity Bug for Schema Permissions, Potential Vulnerability?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Justis Lincoln Mackaoui <jmackaou(at)calpoly(dot)edu>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clarity Bug for Schema Permissions, Potential Vulnerability?
Date: 2020-05-06 14:05:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 6:38 AM Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think a more useful change (if any) would be a NOTICE or WARNING when
> granting privs on a object in a schema, to a user who does not already have
> privs on the schema itself.

Definitely not a warning but maybe a notice. But if that's the extent of
things I don't really see enough value to warrant having a command
targeting one object go looking around the system for other related state
to comment upon. If one revokes usage on a schema should we inform the
user of any remaining grants on contained objects? I suspect there are
other useful notices to consider beyond those two. It feels like something
better left to a third-party tool rather than something built into core.

David J.