Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)
Date: 2016-08-19 00:14:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Michael Paquier
> Cool. I have been honestly wondering about deploying this tool as well
> to allow some of the QE tests to perform live checks of btree indexes
> as we use a bunch of them.

I'd certainly welcome that. There are Debian packages available from
the Github version of amcheck, which is otherwise practically
identical to the most recent version of the patch posted here:

https://github.com/petergeoghegan/amcheck

(This version also targets Postgres 9.4+).

> By the way, I have not looked at the patch,
> but this supports just btree, right? Wouldn't btree_check be a better
> name, or do you think that the interface you provide is generic enough
> that it could be extended in the future for gin, gist, etc.?

Yes, the idea of calling it amcheck was support for other AMs could be
added later.

Personally, I would like to make amcheck verifying the heap through a
B-Tree index as a next step. There is also a good case for the tool
directly verifying heap relations, without involving any index, but
that can come later.

--
Peter Geoghegan