Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)
Date: 2016-03-12 00:45:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
> Right, but you still have the option to enable them if you don't want to
> swamp your IO system. That's why CIC obeys it too. If I was running a
> consistency check on a production system I'd certainly want the option to
> throttle it. Without that option, I don't see running this on production
> systems as being an option. If that's not a goal then fine, but if it is a
> goal I think it needs to be there.
>
> Isn't it just a few extra lines of code to support it?

I see your point.

I'll add that if people like the interface you propose. (Overloading
the VACUUM cost delay functions to cause a delay for amcheck
functions, too). Note that the functions already use an appropriate
buffer access strategy (it avoids blowing shared_buffers, much like
VACUUM itself).

--
Peter Geoghegan