Re: memory leak in e94568ecc10 (pre-reading in external sort)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: memory leak in e94568ecc10 (pre-reading in external sort)
Date: 2016-10-06 15:44:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
> This is related to earlier the discussion with Peter G, on whether we should
> change state->maxTapes to reflect the actual number of tape that were used,
> when that's less than maxTapes. I think his confusion about the loop in
> init_tape_buffers(), in
> CAM3SWZQ7=FCy1iUZ6jNzUUNnktAG6uitC1i-DoNxScP-9ZsHwQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com would
> also have been avoided, if we had done that. So I think we should reconsider
> that.

-1 on that from me. I don't think that you should modify a variable
that is directly linkable to Knuth's description of polyphase merge --
doing so seems like a bad idea. state->maxTapes (Knuth's T) really is
something that is established pretty early on, and doesn't change.

While the fix you pushed was probably a good idea anyway, I still
think you should not use state->maxTapes to exhaustively call
LogicalTapeAssignReadBufferSize() on every tape, even non-active
tapes. That's the confusing part. It's not as if your need for the
number of input tapes (the number of maybe-active tapes) is long
lived; you just need to instruct logtape.c on buffer sizing once, at
the start of mergeruns().

Besides, what I propose to do is really exactly the same as what you
also want to do, except it avoids actually changing state->maxTapes.
We'd just pass down what you propose to assign to state->maxTapes
directly, which differs (and not just in the common case where there
are inactive tapes -- it's always at least off-by-one). Right?

--
Peter Geoghegan