Re: 9.5 release notes

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Rajeev rastogi <rajeev(dot)rastogi(at)huawei(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.5 release notes
Date: 2015-08-06 22:55:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I am using the same criteria I have always used. If you would like it
> changed, we need to discuss it at a macro level, not for individual
> cases where we feel someone didn't get enough _credit_.

I don't know how you can say that no *user* cares about Rajeev's
B-Tree contribution on the one hand, but on the other hand add items
about things like hash index crash-safety warnings, or an entire
section on obscure source code changes, with commentary about memory
ordering considerations, for example.

> And, I will restate this again, the release note are not for _us_, or
> for _credit_ --- they are for our general users. If you would like that
> changed, you need to make a case for that change.

Certainly, that's mostly true. But if it was entirely true, then no
individual would be named on the release notes at all. That would be a
mistake, but not because any ordinary user would care one bit.

I am not going to comment further on this matter.

--
Peter Geoghegan