Re: Hash Functions

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Hash Functions
Date: 2017-05-14 19:59:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13 May 2017 at 10:29, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> - Floats. There may be different representations in use on different
> hardware, which could be a problem. Tom didn't answer my question
> about whether any even-vaguely-modern hardware is still using non-IEEE
> floats, which I suspect means that the answer is "no".

Fwiw the answer to that is certainly no. The only caveat is that some
platforms have not entirely complete implementations of IEEE missing
corner cases such as denormalized values but I don't think that would
be something that would be changed with a different hash function
though.

Personally while I would like to avoid code that actively crashes or
fails basic tests on Vax even I don't think we need to worry about
replication or federated queries in a heterogeneous environment where
some servers are Vaxen and some are modern hardware. That seems a bit
far-fetched.

--
greg