Re: Hash Functions

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Hash Functions
Date: 2017-05-14 20:06:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-05-14 15:59:09 -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> Personally while I would like to avoid code that actively crashes or
> fails basic tests on Vax

I personally vote for simply refusing to run/compile on non-IEEE
platforms, including VAX. The benefit of even trying to get that right,
not to speak of actually testing, seems just not there.

> even I don't think we need to worry about
> replication or federated queries in a heterogeneous environment where
> some servers are Vaxen and some are modern hardware. That seems a bit
> far-fetched.

Imo there's little point in trying to delineate some subset that we want
to support on platforms that are 20 years out of date. Either we do, or
don't. And since there's no point aside of some intellectual
curiosity...

On the other hand, I don't believe my opinion that requiring hashing to
be portable is unrealistic, is meaningfully affected by disallowing
non-IEEE floats.

Greetings,

Andres Freund