Re: GSoC 2017

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017
Date: 2017-01-28 01:46:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27 January 2017 at 14:52, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> I don't have the exact syntax at hand, but it's something like this:
>
> create distinct type customer_id_type as integer;
> create distinct type order_id_type as integer;
>
> create table customers (id customer_id_type primary key);
> create table orders (id order_id_type primary key, customer_id
> customer_id_type not null);

That seems like a useful thing but it's not exactly the same use case.

Measurements with units and currency amounts both have the property
that you are likely to want to have a single column that uses
different units for different rows. You can aggregate across them
without converting as long as you have an appropriate where clause or
group by clause -- GROUP BY units_of(debit_amount) for example.

--
greg